The Ooma Telo Phone Service is a router/modem based phone system for your home. Unlike other internet based phone systems like MagicJack, you do not have to plug it directly into your computer. MagicJack works great, but it requires that you leave your computer on to make or accept calls. Ooma plugs into your home router or high speed modem to bypass the need for a computer. The installation took a little longer than expected, but my router set-up is a little more complicated than most set-ups.
Once connected, you can choose to connect any standard phone to the Ooma device and it will work. If you want full access to all Ooma features at the touch of your hand you can opt for the optional Ooma Telo Handset for around $50. Ooma is packed with features if you opt for the Premier plan package for $9.99 a month.
Ooma Standard Package features:
- Call anyone, anywhere in the U.S. Pay only applicable taxes and fees.
- Enjoy the convenience of caller-ID and call-waiting— at no extra charge.
- Access your voicemail remotely from any phone or web browser.
- Check messages from anywhere in your house.
- Get crisp acoustic performance with advanced features like voice compression, adaptive redundancy,
- Pick out some new digits for the area code of your choosing. So if you feel like going with a 415 instead of a 510, we’ve got your number.
- Make international calls starting at 1.4 cents per minute.
Ooma Premier Package features:
- Instant Second Line™ – Make or take a second call without missing a beat. Let’s say you’ve got a teen and they are always on the phone. Not a problem. With Ooma’s Instant Second Line feature, all you have to do is go to another Ooma Telo Handset in the house, pick it up, and you’ve got a fresh Ooma dial tone.
- Three-way conferencing – Whether you’re doing business or chatting with friends, three-way conference calling has never been easier.
- Multi-ring – Ensure you never miss a call by configuring your Ooma system to simultaneously ring or forward to your mobile phone.
- Back-up telephone number – Don’t miss a call even if your Internet is on the fritz. We’ll forward calls to your backup number.
- Google Voice Extensions – Experience the goodness of Google Voice on your Ooma system. We’ve simplified and enhanced the experience, so now you can access Google Voice’s Voicemail, Call Presentation, Listen In, and Caller-ID features – all with the press of a button.
- Bluetooth – Link your mobile phone to your Ooma Telo using the Ooma Bluetooth adapter. Just plug the adapter into the USB port on your Ooma Telo, link your mobile phone or headset, and you’re ready to go!
- Transfer your Current Telephone Number – If you want to keep your current number, Ooma will transfer your number for your current phone provider for free when you sign-up for a year of Ooma Premier.
- Personal Number – With Ooma Premier, choose a second number anywhere in the US. Decide whether you want your number to ring and leave voicemail on all phones or just your personal Ooma device. You can choose up to nine numbers (additional monthly fee applies).